The Axedale Cemetery is situated on 9 acres, on the corner of McIvor Highway and Cemetery Road in a bush setting, surrounded by gum trees. The first unconfirmed burial was George Bywaters in 1865.
The Axedale Cemetery, unusually, is actually, two separate cemeteries side by side. There is the Protestant or public cemetery and alongside it the Roman Catholic Cemetery. This is a private cemetery administered by the Catholic Church of Bendigo. The Catholic cemetery is surrounded by an eye catching bluestone wall.
Follow for further posts of obituaries and burials at Axedale Public Cemetery and Axedale Catholic Cemetery